LLOYDS from London 1838

A wooden 3 mast barque built at Deptford, Kent in 1830 by T. Ward & J.B. Stone, 402/403/406 tons om length - 110' 7" beam - 28' 5" no depth of hold recorded.
She was variously recorded in weight in the Lloyds Registers and in customs information in SA. Owner Ed GARRETT Registered London

The LLOYDS departed England from the port at Gravesend on 1 August 1838 under Captain Garrett (or Gunett or K B Stone) and arrived Port Adelaide on 1 December 1838 carrying 181 passengers. It seems that many of the passengers had applied for free passage to the new colony of South Australia. (Register 15 Dec 1838)

of his voyage on board the LLOYDS from England to South Australia, commencing July 18th 1838
and concluding upon arrival at Holdfast Bay December 1st 1838 (transcribed using his actual words)
This diary reveals he was actually a gardener, having previously worked in that position at Arundle Castle,
before emigrating to South Australia in 1838.
the ninetenth
  Left Arundel to proseed on my journey to South Australia by T. Oakes van and arrived safe on the twenth in the morning at the Alaphent and Castel in London and from there to the Emigratin Depo at Deptford and finely on the twenty first embarked at Blackwall on Thay.
22  Got all our lugage on bord reday to proseed on our voige this day. F Finay and I engaged to cook for all the emigrants at one pany per week for each familay and halfpany from eacch Singel purson.
24  Sailed from Blakwalll and came to granves end and on the following morning at 3oClock sailed again for the Downs.
25   Laying at anchor in the Downs awating for a fair wind.
July 31st  Still wating for a fair wind in the Downs whilst laying here the cow that was put on bord to suplay the ship with milk for the voyage died and a fresh one takiing on bord.
August   We continued to ride at anchor heer unfil the foist of August when our Captain was all out of patience whith waiting and ordred the anchor to be weighed which was acordingly dun though the wind was a head un consequence of which the see was very ruf and most of the passingers became see sick we continued beating to wind ward without making much way.